My poetry
I wrote this this year but it is taken from a real experience Freshman year at MMC. Hope you like--please comment.
Driving Through Yankton at Night
I get into the ’92 Cavalier once again.
Boredom, insomnia, sadness, necessity—doesn’t matter,
I crave the daily escape.
Lights outline Broadway—a familiar path
Groceries and randomness, a David Gray CD
“A New Day at Midnight”—I could use this
Cover art and previous conception of the artist promise the renewal I seek
Leaving the K-Mart lot I pop the CD into my Philips portable CD player and drive on
Track 1—“Dead in the Water”—Not exactly what I’d pictured
Head south
Mall, Dairy Queen, Pizza Ranch, “Burger King Lutheran”, bank
Park temporarily in meditation spot overlooking Missouri River
Turn out of parking lot to pass restaurant wearing invisibility cloak—great place to eat
Track 4—heading east until motel silently suggests the end of the known world
Turn around and head back
Stop for Almond M&Ms and Sprite; maybe get some cash from ATM
Track 5—guess this isn’t another “White Ladder”
Am I depressed or is the singer? I honestly can’t tell
God, these houses are beautiful. One day I could live here.
We can have Christmas at my pace with candles glowing through Victorian windows.
Track 6—“You who were born with the world upon your shoulders…”
How did Rufus come into this?
Replay
Yep, definitely works with Rufus.
Bowling alley, airport, car dealership, darkness on town’s edge
Turn in to curvy streets where people insist on driving with brights on
Might not need to if someone had put a streetlight out here
--or anywhere in the town, come to think of it
Chandeliers and winding staircases, brick and stone, accent lighting,
Fences and landscaping—how the “others” live
Maybe one day
Wind around and drive west
Hey high school—or is it middle school?
Find myself zombie-like, yet awkwardly contented
Wow—that’s the high school. I can almost hear the cliques.
Track 8—yet another new development
I house shop for myself and each family member as I sense myself missing them
“Seems to me boy that you’re doin’ alright…”
I shouldn’t have wasted all this gas—should head back.
Skip to track 11—“there ain’t no easy way to cry”—Now I feel like crying
Pull into MMC drive and head up small hill-Track 12
Headlights reflect off chapel stone and windows and I pass under 2nd floor walkway
Bet the nuns are asleep.
Bet everyone’s asleep.
Feelings rise, not revealing their source
Let it out? Hold it in? What’s my problem anyway?
Bede, Whitby, Corbey, Scholastica, parking stall
Arrange my stuff for hauling to dorm
Foresee many replaying of Track 12
CD ends











<< Home