Why contempory worship and modern Protestantism is ruining Christianity
Alright, so this is one of my most serious postings. I hope it at least makes you think and stirs some things up in your heart. This is not meant to offend, but to open some eyes.
As a writer and musician, I pay great attention to what I hear on the radio and elsewhere. Unfortunately, most people listen to music and judge it based on how it sounds to them without actually breaking down what message is being pumped into their heads. My mom was listening to a Christian radio station and I asked her, "Do you hear what they're trying to tell you?" She admitted that she listens and sings along without really paying attention. This is a danger that is happening all over Western culture and is rampant in today's Christianity. Theology is missing from most of today's vapid, pointless Christian music. When it is there, it often contradicts the Bible or gives in to pop culture, selling itself out for more fans (aka "believers"). Today's Christians don't know what to believe. There are 33,000 denominations within Protestantism, each with its own view of truth, often going directly against the tradition, scripture, and practice of the original church. In today's post, I'm just going to focus on two songs and show how their message is playing a dangerous game with people's spiritual lives. If I get positive responses, I'll do more of these.
"Famous One" by Chris Tomlin
You are the Lord
The famous one
Famous one
Great is your name
In all the earth
The heavens declare
You're glorious, glorious
Great is your fame
Beyond the earth
You are the Lord
The famous one
Famous one
Great is your name
In all the earth
The heavens declare
You're glorious, glorious
Great is your fame
Beyond the earth
And for all you've done
And yet to do
With every breath
I'm praising you
Desire of nations
And every heart
You alone are God
You alone are God
You are the Lord
The famous one
The famous one...(etc)
The morning star
Is shining through
And every eye
Is watching you
Revealed by nature
And miracles
You are beautiful
You are beautiful
You are the Lord
The famous one...(etc)
Let's see what this "praise song" is really teaching us. The writer is one of today's most listened to and most influential Christian singers. His music is used in worship worldwide. What is the main theme in his song? God is famous. It is repeated over and over and over. God is shown as someone famous, glorified, great, and having every eye watch Him. Do you see any references to Jesus' suffering and death (the essential focus in Christianity)? No. Do you see any references to Jesus period? No. One could argue that "the morning star" is a reference to Jesus, but it is extremely vague and could simply refer to a star. Plus, the star is pushed aside, because even though it shines through, "every eye is watching you" (not the star). And this is on the Christian radio charts?
Today's "Christianity" is removing Jesus left and right, even though the people behind this movement would vehemently deny anything of the sort taking place, claiming to be "more Christian" than others because they are "Bible Christians". That phrase on its own is a joke. For one, anyone who claims to be Christian would HAVE to use/read the Bible, so today's churches that claim to be going "back to the Bible" must therefore be churches that left it in the first place.
This song is basically telling us that God is no different from Paris Hilton...He is famous for being famous. Who cares about the crucifixion? Who cares about Jesus period? Who cares about the Holy Spirit? Who needs church, scripture, tradition, sacraments, etc when we have a rock star for a God? Let's just praise Him because he's famous in all the lands!!
Here is another massive hit on Christian radio that is used in youth conferences and the like. I've personally heard it used at Concordia University (a Lutheran campus) at Wednesday night Praise. Read carefully and see if you can tell who the song is to.
"I Want to Know You (In the Secret)" by Sonicflood
In the secret
In the quiet place
In the stillness
You are there
In the secret
In the quiet hour I wait
only for You
Cause, I want to know You more
Chorus:
I want to know You
I want to hear Your voice
I want to know You more
I want to touch You
I want to see Your face
I want to know You more
I am reaching
for the highest goal
That I might receive
the prize
Pressing onward
Pushing every hindrance aside
Out of my way
Cause, I want to know You more.
Could you tell who this is being sung to? This is from a "Christian" group and topped "Christian" charts. They have been Grammy-nominated and have gold-selling status. Family Christian Stores calls them "the forerunners of the modern worship movement". WHY? Read the lyrics again--can you see any reference to God, Jesus, the Church, ANYTHING? If Jesus is the one that the song is about, apparently He is something we win on our efforts, like "the prize".
Try this--reread the lyrics with the idea that the song was written by a guy for a girl he wants romantically. Change things a bit does it? "In the secret...I wait cause I want to know you more", "I want to touch you, I want to see your face...pushing every hindrance aside, out of my way cause I want to know you more." Hmmm. This is used for praise groups? WHY? There isn't a slight hint of anything praise and worship about it. This could be on pop stations today and no one would know the difference. Wake up people and smell the deception! We can choose to be lethargic in our beliefs and let people influence us any way they want or we can stop the BS and call for the truth, a belief system that is deeper than album sales, concerts, t-shirts, wristbands, and teen jamborees.
What do you think?











<< Home