< < <

E




VIEW steve's guestbook | SIGN steve's guestbook
Stephen's Blog--A Journal of Sorts: Holy 200 Posts Batman! (and some 'green' talk)

Stephen's personal thoughts/opinions on any and all topics that come to mind.

Monday, October 06, 2008

Holy 200 Posts Batman! (and some 'green' talk)

I just realized that my last post was number 200! I've been blogging on this, my first and only true blog for years now. If anyone is reading, I really do appreciate it. I've slowed down my posting frequency, partly due to having FT job and partly do to lack of readers. I've been told however that I should continue writing, if only to practice writing and get a sort of therapy from releasing my thoughts into the world, giving them a place to live besides my very thought-filled head.
At some point I will print this entire blog (I know, the trees!) and keep it for myself to reflect on. I think reading it even now would show me just how far I've come and how much I've gone through in the past few years.
Speaking of the trees, I find it interesting how earnestly everyone seems to be embracing the "green" movement. How is it that we're just NOW doing it? Did it really take the name change to get us set straight? I was raised in the "eco" generation. Everything was eco-conscious, eco-friendly, ecological, etc. I've been "green" my whole life in many regards due to a very early (2nd grade) introduction into an Earth-friendly lifestyle. My class choir concert was an environment-themed production with songs about the dying flowers and "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" signs. I picked up litter as a scout on our adopted mile of highway on more than one occassion. I have made an effort since elementary school to plant flowers and trees and not litter. I asked my parents to recycle in the 90s but was told it would be too much of a hassle.
Since I've been working at Walmart, which is trying to integrate solar and wind power into its stores and is very progressive on helping the planet, I've become even more aware. We are required to recycle while on the clock. In other words, if I have a Pepsi from the machine while on my 15 min. break, I have to toss the can/bottle in our recycle bin. Walmart now recycles cans, bags, newspapers, and plastic bottles for its employees, who are encouraged to bring the stuff to work. Since I have this ability, the fam has finally joined me in my recycling goals and sort their pop cans from the rest of the garbage and puts plastic bags under the kitchen sink. When the container gets full, I make a bag of bags and a bag of pop cans and drop them off at work on my way in the door (go Walmart for putting bins right in the front doors).
Mom's going even further and sorting out any 1 or 2 grade plastic materials and dropping them off weekly/biweekly at our recycle center.
Fun facts:
+For every bale of cardboard (all of our boxes, etc. get cut down and thrown in the baler instead of the trash) 17 trees are saved by recycling!
+Walmart uses enough plastic wrap each year to cover Texas (I think we should, to keep 'em fresh)
+One recycled pop can saves enough energy to run a TV for 3 hours (and I think that statistic was based on old-style CRT (tube) TVs, so it would be hours more with a new LCD
+Walmart now recycles its pharmacy bottles, hangers, old paperback books that are pulled, and film canisters (among other things)
+This year, Walmart led the pack by switching every brand of laundry soap from standard to concentrated, eliminating about 1/3 of the plastic from each bottle and removing millions of gallons of water from the shelves--after all, why buy water when your machine fills up with it anyway? The smaller jugs allow for the same (or more) amount of washes, allow for more to fit on a shelf, require fewer trips by semi trucks, waste less water, etc

One more fun fact, though not specifically green-related, Walmart is working on putting clinics in its stores. We already have vision clinics and pharmacies, but have now started (with a test store in the South) to have medical clinics. Yes, those medical clinics. You will one day be able to use WM as a one-stop-shop when you are sick. Feeling cruddy? Go to WM to buy Puffs and OTC meds, then get an apointment with a doctor, get a prescription, and fill it at the pharmacy under one roof. What makes this cooler is that the clinics won't be anything like standard cold, impersonal, high-cost doctors' offices. They are designed by the same firm that creates the look and feel of Starbucks and Barnes & Noble, meaning they have warm colors, rich textures, comfy waiting room chairs, and an overall homey feel. You will also be referred to as a "guest", not a patient and can shop around if the wait will be long, getting a page when they're ready to take you in. Lastly, in making sure it keeps with WM ways, the costs will be low (like our $4 prescription drugs that kinda took the med world by storm).

I NEVER thought I'd sound like a walking WM commercial and there are, of course, things I don't like about the store's past/present, but having been an insider and hearing what the public doesn't hear, I've seen that it's a very progressive, proactive company that does care about a few more things than making money. I'll admit I still think Target is WM's cooler younger sibling (and Shopko is it's retarded cousin), but it's still got some big things goin' for it.
BTW, it is Walmart now, not Wal-Mart, as the company has had its first overhaul in logo and design scheme in over a decade. Gone is the smiley face (YES! I'd always hated it and it fits that it would be canned when I worked there) and in its place is the "spark" (which looks like an asterisk). I can explain the whole thing if you're interested, but won't here. Also gone is "Always low prices...Always" and in is "Save money. Live better."

Anywho--I intended to do a formulaic post from a generic quizzy thing and ended up posting this behemoth! I guess I found my answer as to whether I should keep posting....

Much love,
Stephen

Songs of the Day: "All Is Full of Love" by Bjork and "Darkest Hour" by Charlotte Martin