< < <

E




VIEW steve's guestbook | SIGN steve's guestbook
Stephen's Blog--A Journal of Sorts: New Sheets

Stephen's personal thoughts/opinions on any and all topics that come to mind.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

New Sheets

Aren't new sheets great? There are a few things that are just awesome when new; things that change your mood, get you excited, make you feel special and pampered...things like shoes, coats, cars, and carpet. It's the anticipation of opening a new CD, not knowing what the songs will be like, wondering what the CD looks like, browsing through the liner notes for the first time. It's the way you move your hand to draw attention to a new watch or ring.
Yesterday I bought myself new sheets and those feelings definitely came with them. I haven't had new sheets in years. I had lived 2 years of the past 5 in a dorm, so I had new sheets for the twin beds I slept in, but my full bed at home got neglected. This year I threw out a torn pillowcase from my tan set, leaving me without a matching case for the rest of the set, which also includes a fitted sheet that's losing its elastic. I also turned one of my navy pillowcases into a dust cloth. I threw out both of my light blue Egyptian cotton pillowcases because they'd become discolored with age and washings. On top of that, the flat sheet from that set has a hole in it from Milo taking a flying leap into my bed, claws and all. It was time to get some new sheets--after all, I don't want to move into my first apartment with stuff that makes me look like a hobo.
I don't know what's happened in the past few years, but I swear bedding is 3x more expensive than it was. I got a whole set of Egyptian cotton sheets for college for about $30. Now a single sheet costs that much. Comforters are like $100-300! Are they made with spun silver? When a pillowcase is $15-30, there's a problem.
Being the OCD shopper I am, I of course checked sale ads and the web before going to any store. I refuse to purchase anything at retail, plain and simple. I'm the guy who goes to the clearance rack first, bypassing the uninformed shoppers at the front of the store (the most expensive place). I checked out Kohl's yesterday (a recently discovered gem) and found some cool sets on sale, but put them on my "suggest for a birthday gift" list. Then my mom and I went to south Lincoln to check out the new Target Supercenter. South Lincoln is the new "it" location, with multi-gazillion dollar developments bringing in new malls, housing, country clubs and golf courses, restaurants, etc. We passed a housing development with gorgeous homes, a pond surrounded by boulders and a waterfall, and a giant lodge to dine at.
The new Target is just as nice--it's huge, clean, well-lit, and stylish. It features fresh sod, new trees, sculptures (in Target red of course), neon lights, and sits across from a golf course. Inside is a Pizza Hut and Starbucks--mmmmmm. You smell the fresh lattes right when you open the door. The special was spiced pumpkin, but I resisted. The grocery section is massive, with an entire aisle for seasonings and another one just for coffee and tea, and yet another just for snack bars. The produce area features an organic section and you can get drinks and sandwiches from the deli to enjoy while shopping.
I swear there was bedding stuff spread over 12 aisles. Lucky for me, the college stuff was all clearanced since everyone's a couple months into the school year. Of course, all I seemed to find was either girly or for twin beds. Just before leaving, I found a set of sheets on the opposite end of the section for $3.24. Yes, $3.24 for the ENTIRE SET! I love Target. The sheets are solid Kelly green (not a first pick, but I'll take it!) and definitely add color to my room. I put them on so carefully, making sure to shoo the cats out so they didn't jump up and put holes in them. They have that new sheet smell and the creases from being in a package. I took extra care to wash up before bed so I didn't get my nice sheets dirty. I slipped in and turned my relaxation music on (also from Target--"Music for Stress Relief", previous purchase) and had a whole night's sleep for the first time in ages.
Don't you love new sheets? PS--I'm asking for more for my b-day--something with a print this time.

Song of the Day: "Brace Yourself" by Howie Day

Also--I'm on MySpace and Stickam, so add me if you aren't in my friends list yet. Stickam is a sweet way to talk live via webcam and I'm on daily now, so get an account and I can sing for ya or something!