God Bless the USA
It's almost the 4th right now as I write this. As I think of what that means for us, I have to think of those who are still not free, healthy, employed, safe, etc. As you may have seen on MTV or VH1, the news, heard on the radio, or saw on the internet, Live 8 recently took place and raised awareness of the need for the world's 8 most powerful nations to step up to the plate on big world issues. Coldplay was one of the highlights for me, but I applaud all the groups/artists/speakers for what they did. My link to the ONE organization has a direct link to the LIVE 8 concert and the G8 meeting which takes place this week. If you haven't, you can still sign your name to ask Bush to donate more money (the amount he pledged was much less than the UK's for at least one of the proposed donations). I think we need to use our riches and 'smarts' to help the extreme poor who are dying at the rate of 30,000 a day. With this is increased education, the prevention and lessened spread of HIV/AIDS, and the lessened spread of other diseases. Neglecting the 1 BILLION people in extreme poverty means neglecting the threat posed to the rest of the world with disease, famine, drought, etc. Would you want their help if it was our nation in need? I don't mean to be on a soap box--I'm no saint--but this is an issue I find myself called to push. Prayers and signatures are great.
Much love, much peace,
Stephen











<< Home