A Serious Matter
In an effort to keep things fresh and updated, I have been trying to think of things to mention here. One idea came to me at work yesterday. Though no one here fits into the category of people I wish would read this, maybe someone will come here by mistake and learn something!
As I watch movies, TV shows, music videos, etc. and listen to interviews, radio, and such, I have noticed an overwhelming misunderstanding/rudeness/lack of respect concerning my religion--Catholicism. I am tired of having my beliefs bashed publicly and privately with no one doing anything about it. If you say anything bad about Jews, Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, or gays, you get in major trouble, but if something is said about Catholics, it's as though it doesn't matter. Here are some pointers/facts for anyone out there that reads this:
*The Catholic Church is the oldest Christian religion, dating back to Christ himself, who gave leadership of the Church to St. Peter, who became the 1st pope ("You are rock and on this rock I build my Church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it"). There has been a constant succession of popes since Peter, leading to Pope Benedict XVI today, representing Christ on Earth.
*The Catholic Church is the largest Christian religion, yet the most criticized, mocked, and disrespected of Christianity, sometimes being left out of the category "Christian".
*Catholics DO NOT worship Mary--we believe in one God present in three forms in the Trinity. We honor Mary as the only sinless person who existed (other than Christ, who is God) that set an example for all by saying "yes" to God's call, no matter how great the price.
*The Pope's infallibility refers to doctrine/dogma/teachings, not his personal life or decisions. No human is perfect, but we believe the Church's teachings, which come from the Pope, are. Our scriptural evidence for infallibility stems from the belief that God, in making his Church on Earth, made it impossible to corrupt as an institution. For specific evidence, see: Matthew 28:18-20; Matthew 16:18; John 14, 15, and 16; I Timothy 3:14-15; and Acts 15:28.
*Not all priests are homosexual or child molesters! I've never known any priest that fit those titles and know how deeply hurt they've been by such constant stereotyping in the media. Though there have been many cases of abuse within the Church, you will find the same in every religion, every social group, every economic level, every race, etc. Though there have been public school teachers that abused students, I don't assume that the entire public school system is corrupt.
*Rosaries are NOT accessories. Despite Madonna and Britney wearing them as fashion statements (even in music videos while wearing nothing but underwear), rosaries are prayer and devotion tools that help us center ourselves in Christ while blocking out the worldly problems around us for a brief 20 minutes or so. True Catholics do not misuse or abuse the rosary by treating it as a necklace or modifying it, taking it apart, etc.
Please understand where I'm coming from with this. It is not meant to offend, but enlighten. You are free to question any of the above and I strongly encourage you to research the facts for yourself on any subject you question. If you have any questions for me, post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.
God bless--much love,
Steve











<< Home