< < <

E




VIEW steve's guestbook | SIGN steve's guestbook
Stephen's Blog--A Journal of Sorts: August has arrived

Stephen's personal thoughts/opinions on any and all topics that come to mind.

Monday, August 02, 2004

August has arrived

Hey all. August is here, which means my best friends will get their asses back to college and start communicating with me more since they have technology at their disposal. 'Bout time! I miss a bunch of you (you know who I'm talking about) (yes you) (you, ya fool!) and can't wait to hear about your new classes, jobs, whatever. I have a cell phone with more minutes than I need, so those of you who want a call, let me know. I'm bored enough to talk a while--know that in advance! The university here starts up in about 20 days so I'll be hanging out there, trying to get used to the campus from a non-"local" perspective and finding friends to chill with when I start classes here in January. Until then, I'll still be doing the SCC thing, which has gone remarkably well. I'm already in week 4 of my 10 week online course. I love having only 2 classes a week. The subject is right up my alley and I'm able to do most assignments the day of instead of working days in advance. This break is needed.
On another note, I have typed up a letter of resignation for my job at MPV. I'm tired of working there (or NOT working there) due to the messed up schedule and I have included a lengthy list of reasons why I'm quitting in the letter. Still have to print it and sign it, but it will happen. As the saying goes, "God works in mysterious ways" and he surely does. Here's the latest example. I went in to rent a DVD and my co-worker of 2.5 years didn't give me the employee discount. When I asked why, she said I hadn't worked enough lately to earn it. Pissed off, I told her that my absence from the schedule was due to my boss, who ignored a letter I wrote her specifying good shifts for me. She reluctantly gave me the discount, but I was very upset and for the first time my mom really saw the shit I deal with everytime I work there. That day I typed up the letter. Our printer is shit, so I need to save to disk and print the letter elsewhere. So here's the God part--I was worried about finding a new job, doing the interview thing, etc. and a job just came to me. Literally. I didn't ask for it, apply for it, work for it, or anything. My dad is a realtor and is working with the owner of Sonic restaurants to bring one to our town. The guy bought the lot but won't be building on it for one or two years. In that time someone needs to mow the lot to keep up appearances. My dad offered the job to me and now it's mine. I get to use a riding lawn mower and the lot is not big enough to complain about. I'll get paid per mowing and be making more in the next few months than I have at MPV this entire year!!! Praise Jesus for the times when we doubt and He shows us why we shouldn't. With that and the job at C21 (also offered by my dad) I will actually have something in the old bank accounts.
Just had the headliner replaced in the Chevy. It's a lighter gray than the visors, but I have multi-tonal grays in the interior so it works OK. $146.00. I need a new fuel pump, so it'll have to go in soon to the car doc. (Thank God again for the jobs). Mom's has been in 3 times in the last 2 weeks and is going in tomorrow for a head gasket---yes, she actually blew a gasket. Enough money spent on that car this year to get a newer used one. If only we had known...
House has paint on every side but the south side which is the largest and most chipped/destroyed side. I've power blasted 3 times and you can't tell. Getting used to spending evenings on the top of a 2 story ladder with a bucket of paint and a 4 inch brush.
Thanks to all who read the last blog---I had to do something for giggles. Glad you liked.
Is this my longest blog? Feels like it.
Song of the Day: "Float On" by Modest Mouse
Comment on whatever you feel like,
Steve